Bansals may come back in charge at Flipkart with Masayoshi Son's help
Around $1.5 billion in the latest deal is being used to purchase shares from existing investors, largely from Tiger. The move could see the role of Kalyan Krishnamurthy, a former director at Tiger and the current CEO of Flipkart, being diluted.August 11, 2017 | comments ( 0 ) |
After raising $2.5 billion from SoftBank’s Masayoshi Son and his Vision Fund, Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal are back in the driving seat at Flipkart, the company they founded over a decade ago. The investment will make Son, through his Vision Fund, one among the largest shareholders in Flipkart and will lower the strength of Tiger Global on its board.
Around $1.5 billion in the latest deal is being used to purchase shares from existing investors, largely from Tiger. The move could see the role of Kalyan Krishnamurthy, a former director at Tiger and the current CEO of Flipkart, being diluted. Krishnamurthy was brought in by Tiger's Lee Fixel to help Flipkart fight off an aggressive Amazon. He played a role in getting long-term investors such as Tencent and Vision Fund, while giving a partial exit for Tiger in its biggest investment in India. “Kalyan was definitely Tiger’s man and the founders had been sidelined. It’s not assured that SoftBank will have trust in him despite him being a good performer,” said a person close to the development at Flipkart. “The founders have and are definitely looking at making a comeback.” Ever since discussions of SoftBank picking a stake in Flipkart, through its failed merger of Snapdeal, began six months ago, the co-founders have been making their presence felt. In the release announcing the Vision Fund’s investment in Flipkart, Krishnamurthy’s voice was all but missing. Sachin turned vocal on his contribution to building Flipkart’s in-house brand for the masses — Billion, which is targeted at bringing first-time customers onto its platform. Binny’s role in running the company’s logistics unit, eKart, was renewed after the exit of Nitin Seth. Moreover, both founders have strong follower base in the company,
24 Nov 2015, Hotel Pullman, Aerocity, New Delhi.
Attend First global conference & master class on franchising.
GROW YOUR BRAND FRANCHISE >> REGISTER NOW!
- Walmart, Metro, McDonald's among India's 10 best workplaces in 2018
- Capillary Technologies Pumps In $20 Million From Investors
- B2B e-commerce startup Udaan raises $50 million from Lightspeed, Yuri Milner
- H&M India To Start Online Business This Year
- Intex Targets 6% Share In AC Market In India
- Toyota Aims Market Domination With Its mid-size sedan 'Yaris'
- Samsung unveils Wind-Free Cooling technology AC's Starting from 50,950
- U Hostels enters India’s alternate accommodation market with premium hostel concept
- Samsung India sets sales goal of over $10 billion this year
- Infibeam shifts business policy in line with 4G wave