Bansals may come back in charge at Flipkart with Masayoshi Son's help
Around $1.5 billion in the latest deal is being used to purchase shares from existing investors, largely from Tiger. The move could see the role of Kalyan Krishnamurthy, a former director at Tiger and the current CEO of Flipkart, being diluted.August 11, 2017 | comments ( 0 ) |
After raising $2.5 billion from SoftBank’s Masayoshi Son and his Vision Fund, Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal are back in the driving seat at Flipkart, the company they founded over a decade ago. The investment will make Son, through his Vision Fund, one among the largest shareholders in Flipkart and will lower the strength of Tiger Global on its board.
Around $1.5 billion in the latest deal is being used to purchase shares from existing investors, largely from Tiger. The move could see the role of Kalyan Krishnamurthy, a former director at Tiger and the current CEO of Flipkart, being diluted. Krishnamurthy was brought in by Tiger's Lee Fixel to help Flipkart fight off an aggressive Amazon. He played a role in getting long-term investors such as Tencent and Vision Fund, while giving a partial exit for Tiger in its biggest investment in India. “Kalyan was definitely Tiger’s man and the founders had been sidelined. It’s not assured that SoftBank will have trust in him despite him being a good performer,” said a person close to the development at Flipkart. “The founders have and are definitely looking at making a comeback.” Ever since discussions of SoftBank picking a stake in Flipkart, through its failed merger of Snapdeal, began six months ago, the co-founders have been making their presence felt. In the release announcing the Vision Fund’s investment in Flipkart, Krishnamurthy’s voice was all but missing. Sachin turned vocal on his contribution to building Flipkart’s in-house brand for the masses — Billion, which is targeted at bringing first-time customers onto its platform. Binny’s role in running the company’s logistics unit, eKart, was renewed after the exit of Nitin Seth. Moreover, both founders have strong follower base in the company,
24 Nov 2015, Hotel Pullman, Aerocity, New Delhi.
Attend First global conference & master class on franchising.
GROW YOUR BRAND FRANCHISE >> REGISTER NOW!
- Relaxo to open 50 more COCO stores this year, embrace franchise model to increase retail footprint
- Geronimo Stilton to be seen at Indian stores
- Discount wars are brewing as Amazon, Flipkart fight for market share
- Patanjali to set up factory in Kashmir Valley, offer jobs to youth: Ramdev
- Amazon to sell debt in order to buy Whole Foods deal, with debt that includes 40-year bond
- Pepe Jeans, Dollar Industries enter into joint venture
- Facebook launches SheMeansBusiness supporting MSME's
- Tata CLiQ to add kids fashion category
- Brand Factory celebrates Independence Day Sale with flat 50% off
- Harley-Davidson opens its first concept store in India