Alibaba Seeks CCI Permission To Buy Bigbasket Share
Investing in BigBasket would help Alibaba add more muscle to take on US based rival Amazon, while for Paytm the move would further strengthen its play in the Indian e commerce space
Tags: Alibaba BigbasketNovember 14, 2017 | comments ( 0 ) |
Chinese e-commerce major Alibaba has sought approval of the Competition Commission of India (CCI) for acquiring stake in online grocery platform, BigBasket.
The proposed combination relates to the acquisition and purchase of shares of Supermarket Grocery Supplies (SGS - the entity that runs BigBasket) by Alibaba Singapore.
The notice, however, did not spell out the details of the proposed investment, including the quantum of stake and the financial value of the deal.
Emails sent to Alibaba and BigBasket on seeking CCI approval went unanswered, while Paytm declined to comment. Earlier this year, there were reports citing sources that Alibaba along with Paytm Mall (which has Alibaba has an investor) were in discussions with BigBasket to pick up a minority stake for about USD 200 million.
Investing in BigBasket would help Alibaba add more muscle to take on US based rival Amazon, while for Paytm, the move would further strengthen its play in the Indian e-commerce space.
The company has raised over USD 200 million from investors including Abraaj Group, Bessemer Venture Partners, Growthstory, Helion Venture Partners, IFC and Sands Capital.
With people becoming comfortable buying even milk and bread online, online grocery segment is projected to witness a strong growth over the next few years in India.
24 Nov 2015, Hotel Pullman, Aerocity, New Delhi.
Attend First global conference & master class on franchising.
GROW YOUR BRAND FRANCHISE >> REGISTER NOW!
- Promoters of Donear Group acquire OCM Woolen Mills
- Rheson Clothing By Rhea And Sonam Kapoor Avaible On Amazon
- Alibaba To Buy 36% Stakes Of Sun Art For $2.9 Billion
- Shopping Platform Voonik To Expand Kidswear Category
- Select Citywalk Looks To Open Another Mall In NCR
- We were never in discussion with Bigbasket for merger- Grofers CEO
- Government Plans To Cut GST On White Goods
- Virtuous Retail Bags $175 Million Of Additional Equity
- Motorola Launches Three Moto Hubs In kolkata
- Wal-Mart Share Rises In 3rd Quarter